Saturday, July 12, 2014

Bluff View Art District

This is another place downtown that will have several posts, but I begin with the simple sculpture walk through the whole district, including, of course, the River Gallery Sculpture Garden.
PICNIC? yes
SWIMSUIT? no
COST? none
AUTHOR'S RATING? four and a half out of five stars!
HOURS? 10am-5pm Monday-Saturday
1pm-5pm Sunday
(These are the times for the sculpture garden. The other sculptures located in front of the Hunter Museum of American Art and scattered throughout the art district can be viewed at any time.)

I love to see kids' reaction to three dimensional art. Sometimes I expect them to just see a toy and they respond by seeing deeper into the art than I do myself. Sometimes I expect them to see beauty and they see something different entirely! 
The River Gallery Sculpture Garden and other sculptures in the Bluff View Art District are a great place to try this out. Be sure to bring some sketch paper and pencils and let your little artists interpret the sculptures on their own.
Even if you're not sketching, the sculpture garden is a great place to roam while talking with little ones about art and enjoying the beautiful view over the Tennessee River.


There is a new exhibit in the garden, put in since we visited last, so I can't wait to take the kids again soon. The new exhibit features colorful, huge flowers. When I biked by recently and noticed them, even the glimpse made me smile!

One of the things I love about the art district is that it is a mix of new and old--modern and traditional. Having such an amazing mix of art downtown for so long has really set the bar high for renovations in other parts of the city, and for this I am very thankful. 

This isn't a place where you can just let your younger kids go and explore--you need to walk with them and be ready to use those teaching moments, but I do really love the fact that this is available for the kids of Chattanooga!





No comments:

Post a Comment